Skip to content
Zesty Za’atar Chicken Meatballs
Za’atar is an aromatic seasoning blend with oregano, thyme, cumin, sesame seeds, salt, and sumac. It’s both citrus and earthy, making it a go-to seasoning in my house when I want something that’s flavor forward and fragrant. Most grocery stores have Za’atar, but make sure you’re choosing the best option on the shelf. According to Bon Appetit, when buying Za’atar, you should opt for the very green varieties, which are more potent.
In this Zesty Za’atar Chicken Meatballs recipe, we’ve added fresh mint and parsley for flavors that are fresh and earthy. You’ll love these meatballs in a salad, wrapped up in pita, or with roasted vegetables.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon Za’atar
- Zest of a half lemon
- 1 oz feta cheese
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the egg and feta. I like to mix with my hands so everything is incorporated.
- Once mixed, crack the egg into the bowl and whisk it. Then, use a wooden spoon to combine into the meatball mixture.
- Finally, add the feta and mix until combined.
- Place in the oven and cook for 13-15 minutes.
- Serve with veggies, quinoa and a drizzle of tahini. Garnish with extra parsley and mint. Enjoy!