Skip to content
Cheesy Bacon Waffles
These savory cheesy bacon waffles are the perfect way to start a weekend morning. If you’re looking for the perfect waffle recipe that isn’t sweet, look no further. In this recipe, you’ll use bacon, cheddar, and scallions to create the perfect savory waffle that will fill your house with the most amazing aromas as soon as you make them.
Use Green Onion
The green onion is great not only for adding color in this recipe, but for adding another flavor into the mix. You’ll want to use the white parts close to the bulb when sautéing it with the bacon (those are the most “onion-y” parts) and save the green tops for garnish.
Grate Your Own Cheese
Pre-grated cheese contains preservatives that make it harder to melt, so you’ll want to grate your own from the block of cheddar cheese. Trust me, it’s worth it.
Makes about 8-10 small waffles
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Start by heating your waffle iron.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon according to package directions. Once the bacon is cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the chopped green onion in the bacon grease for 1 minute, and remove.
- Crumble the bacon or chop it.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Make sure everything is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy. Add milk to the mix and whisk again.
- Add the wet ingredients to the same bowl as the dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Next, add the bacon, scallion, and cheddar cheese.
- Add anywhere from ¼ cup to ½ cup batter mixture to the waffle iron, depending on the size of your waffle maker. Cook until done. The edges will be crispy.
- Garnish with green onions and more cheddar cheese if you wish. Bon Appetit!